Various Scenes from around the Island of Jersey

Mont Orgueil

Mont Orgueil
Various Times in the Past
by Tim Thompson
This magnificent example of medieval military architecture at Gorey, dates back to the early 13th century when Jersey first became a frontier outpost against the French. The Castle served for centuries as residence of the Governor of Jersey and also as a state prison for political offenders and criminals. It fell into neglect for two centuries and then, in 1907, ownership passed from the Crown to the States of Jersey with responsibility for repair and restoration work. In 1921 the Castle was visited by King George V and Queen Mary and the latest Royal Visit in May 1989 was by Her Majesty The Queen, accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh, who received homage from the Seigneurs.

Royal Square

St. Helier by Tim Thompson

La Hougie Bie
As recently as 1924 the Societe Jersiaise discovered that under a forty foot high mound lay one of the finest Neolithic tombs in Europe. Seventy huge granite stones, some weighing forty tons, had somehow been brought by pre-Celtic folk to this chosen burial ground, a site which remained undisturbed for 3,000 years until the arrival of the Viking raiders some 1,000 years ago. The Societe acquired La Hougue Bie in 1919 and today it is a major tourist attraction with its Occupation, Archaeological and Agricultural Museums.

Dolmen at Faldouet, St. Martin
Jersey has a number of superb ritual sites - the dolmens - the most impressive of which is at La Hougue Bie.

Kempt Tower
This tower, built in 1834, and named after Sir James Kempt, Master-General of the Ordnance at the Battle of Waterloo, is one of the finest examples of a true Martello Tower.

After the termination of the War of America Independence, no less than eight Martello Towers, more or less alike, were built on the shores of the bay. All but one are now inhabited, or have been remodeled. Two, however, have distinctive names. Fort William and Fort Henry on Grouville Common and were erected somewhat earlier. The latter, also known as La Tour Carree, has a square Tower without a ditch. The vicinity of the Tower was a favorite spot for duels in the 18th century days, while on one occasion some soldiers garrisoned here made counterfeit coins.

The Corbiere Lighthouse

An Old Scene of the Corbiere Lighthouse
On the hazardous south west coast, Corbiere was the first lighthouse in the British Islands to be constructed of reinforced concrete, in 1874.

Mysterious Grosnez Castle
This forms the north west corner of Jersey, from where on a clear day, all the other Channel Islands, including Alderney, can be seen. The ruined fortifications date back at least to the Hundred Years War, being used as a refuge when the French were making constant raids on the Island.

Elizabeth Castle
Elizabeth Castle, which is situated in St Aubins Bay, and reached by causeway when the tide is low. It was named by Sir Walter Raleigh when he was Governor of Jersey, and contains a Royal Jersey Militia Museum and exhibits, which explain its part in the Islands history.

St. Catherine's Bay

Bonne Nuit Bay

Bouley Bay

Anne Port Bay

Devil's Hole

Scenes from St. Ouen

Green Island

The Pinnacle

"The Death of Major Pierson"
"Pierson Place"

Fisherman's Chapel in St. Brelade
The Fisherman's Chapel is a small square granite building perched on the sea wall above St. Brelade's beach. It is quite overshadowed by the much larger Parish Church alongside it.

The Airport

Various Scenes from around Jersey

home, tokens, 1/13th of a shilling, 1/12th of a shilling, decimal, one pound, commemoratives, or gold coins