- Obverse 1:
- The top left ray of the star is broken.
- This broken ray can also be seen on the 1877 Proof only Royal Mint issue and the 1881 issue.
- Obverse 1S:
- Similar to type 1 but striations are also visible.
- Obverse 2:
- The top left ray of the star is complete.
- Obverse 3S:
- The top left ray of the star is reworked and striations are visible.
- Reverse A:
- Reverse B:
- The 88 is near the letter N.
- Reverse C:
- Reverse D:
- The 88 is slightly out of alignment with a large gap between the 8s.
- Reverse E:
- The 88 is in a lower position relative to the letter N.