25th Wedding Anniversary Commemorative
YEAR KM diameter
1972 40 18.00
The reverse is a Bronze Age gold torque found on the island on December 17, 1889, while
building of a new house on Lewis Street, St. Helier.
This torque was made over 3,000 years ago from a single piece of high
quality gold, and is one of the island's greatest treasures. The torque itself comprises a
four flanged golden spiral of 141.2 centimeters in length, 1.5 centimeters in diameter,
and weighs 24 ounces. No other torques have
been found in the Channel Islands but they are associated with Ireland, Britain and
France and it may have been a gift from one of these areas. Torques were typically
worn around the neck, as jewelry or symbols of office, but this example is more likely
to have been worn around the body.
Return to the Gold page