Ten Pounds
25th Wedding Anniversary Commemorative

        YEAR    KM       diameter
        1972    40         18.00           
The reverse is a Bronze Age gold torque found on the island on December 17, 1889, while building of a new house on Lewis Street, St. Helier. This torque was made over 3,000 years ago from a single piece of high quality gold, and is one of the island's greatest treasures. The torque itself comprises a four flanged golden spiral of 141.2 centimeters in length, 1.5 centimeters in diameter, and weighs 24 ounces. No other torques have been found in the Channel Islands but they are associated with Ireland, Britain and France and it may have been a gift from one of these areas. Torques were typically worn around the neck, as jewelry or symbols of office, but this example is more likely to have been worn around the body.
Return to the Gold page